Thursday 13 November 2014

Homework

Pre-production research

Looking at that data which I gained from my movie poster survey, I discovered some different pieces of information which have influenced me take make certain decision about the movie poster I am going to create. The first part of my survey tells me that my main target audience for movie posters is males aged 16 to 35 and because of this information I have decided to give my movie a male lead so that my audience can relate with the main character better. My survey also tells me that action is the most popular movie genre, so I thought it would be best for my movie poster. After choosing to use the action genre I did some more research on specifically action movie posters. After looking at some the poster I noticed similar features through all the posters. For example most of the action movie posters would show the male lead of the movie standing in a very heroic position while holding some sort of weapon, usually some sort of gun or sword. The actor would also have a very serious look on their face as if they were just about to get into a fight or conflict of some sort. This research of other action movie posters has given me a few ideas on how I will position the character on my poster and the props I will include.

One of the questions on my survey was “What features do you expect from a poster?”. The responses I got where quite interesting and useful. Nearly all the responses included that poster should contain the general idea of the plot or setting the movie takes place in but there was also a key emphasis that is very important that the poster shouldn't give too much away to spoil key parts or plot points of the movie. With this in mind I have thought of maybe putting an image in the background of a city at night to show the setting my movie will take place in and the tone it will have but with giving to much of the plot away. Another common feature I found in the response was that the poster should contain the names of some of the actors in the movie so that the target audience know what talent is in the movie. I also feel that the actor names are important when it comes to movie poster because I think a lot of people judge whether or not to see a movie based on which actors are in it. Usually if the actor has had a history of being a part of good movies then they a more likely to watch another movie with his or her name on it. So by placing the names of the actors on the poster, the movie gains more creditability and buzz. Also a key feature that a lot of the response mentioned was that the poster contain interesting colours to catch their attention.

Overall I have found my survey and my texture analysis research to me very helpful and has given me a good idea in my head of what I want my poster to look like and how I will achieve that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment